Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Boekelo CIC*** About to Begin...


After a marathon trip from Morven Park to Amsterdam, which included canceled flights, diversions through Manchester, and a mini-van ride from BWI to Philly, it was great to arrive in Boekelo to meet up with my pair of horses Remington & Otis.

Both horses look in good health after their trip. Head groom Lindsey has got them looking magnificent, and they would definitely be contenders for the best turned out award in tomorrow's trot up. Mike Pollard and Tamra Smith's horses also look the part, and worked well today.
Boyd and Mike Pollard

I chose to gallop Remi and Otis both lightly yesterday afternoon when I arrived. I got the feeling on top that both geldings are about right. Mike and I worked with Bettina Hoy on the flat today and she kept it pretty simple: improving their gaits, working on their flexion, and perfecting a few movements from the test.
Lesson with Bettina Hoy

Captain Mark Phillips gave me the news today that Remington would be the horse I will be riding on the USA team in the Nations Cup. I agree with the call, as he has a few more miles under his belt than Otis. It is also a great feeling to get called up on a US team with Remi, as last year he missed his chance due to Neville's selection for the WEG. Unfortunately the USA will have only three horses on the team due to a few last minute injuries.

Stay tuned for results

Tomorrow, we trot up and check out the course.

-Boyd



1 comment: