Saturday, August 30, 2014

Boyd and Shamwari 9th After WEG Cross-Country

It was a tough day for Team USA, but Boyd and Shammie were undaunted by the misfortune of his fellow American riders as they tackled the cross-country course at the 2014 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games at Haras du Pin, France this morning. Finishing on 59.9, they are in 9th place going into the show jumping on Sunday. 



Photo: Jenni Autry for EventingNation.com




Boyd told The Chronicle of the Horse: "The bright spot for Team USA came at the end when Boyd Martin left the box aboard Shamwari 4.
“My horse is a real trier,” he said. “My plan was to set out and be really steady and see what my horse had left at the end. In hindsight, I probably should have pushed him a bit more at the beginning because he was full of running at the end.”
Martin was able to move up from 17th after dressage to ninth aboard “Shammie,” adding only 13.6 time faults.
“Coming in I expected this to be the toughest competition in the world, and I think that’s exactly what it was,” said Martin. “I am well mounted on a wonderful horse that has the heart the size of Australia, so I knew it would be a good show.”
Despite his own good result, he was heartbroken for his American teammates. “I feel like we are a team of great horses and great riders,” he said, “but with this course, even the best combinations were having difficulty. I think everyone tried their hearts out, and they should all hold their heads high.”

No comments:

Post a Comment