Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Heath Ryan


Heath Ryan Riding Cold Harbor

I took a walk back in time and had a fantastic training session with my coach and mentor from Australia Heath Ryan Monday on my Pan-Am hopeful Cold Harbor. Heath is in America teaching for 14 days straight on a whirlwind tour and it was fantastic to hear him letting loose, yelling and screaming and firing everyone at True Prospect Farm up yesterday.

He hopped on and rode Cold Harbor at the beginning of the session and really worked on getting him soft and through and improving the quality of his gaits. The other main focus of the lesson was the flying changes, which are new to this horse as he is just starting his advance eventing career. Heath was encouraged by the quality of the horse and he couldn't help himself in his rants and raves about how I should be riding him better. It was great having a lesson with my friend and first trainer and he has given me a lot of fresh ideas on how to work with Bo.

I first met Heath when I was 17 years old, the day after I left high school when I first moved into the bunk house at his New South Wales eventing facility in Lochinvar. I had eight long, hard years of learning the art of becoming a true horseman thanks to Heath. He is a very motivating and inspiring - and half mad - horseman who has represented Australia at the Olympics and World Championships in both eventing and dressage.

I do believe there are a few spaces left in some of Heath's clinics here in the states. For more information contact glenda@playlandequestriancenter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment