Wednesday, October 19, 2011

An Update from Caitlin and Hoku!

I received a recent update from Caitlin on Hoku's (Catch a Star) progress and wanted to share this with Boyd & Silva's supporters.  It is so uplifting to see that everyone is continuing to make progress & find optimism in the future.  


"I can't begin to put into words the impact that the outpouring of love and support for our loss has had on my ability to move forward following the fire. Our entire team has been overwhelmed by the generosity of friends and strangers, and this amazing response has truly demonstrated how wonderful the equestrian community is. I am forever grateful to everyone who has responded to our tragedy, and wish I could thank everyone individually. 


The donations have enabled me to pay all of Hoku's vet bills from New Bolton, and her continuing bills from our vet team at home. I have been able to do everything possible to help her heal the horrific burns she sustained from the fire, and she has gotten through her recovery without any infection or other complications. I have also been able to replace many of my personal belongings as well. 

Hoku is doing really well. She still has a long way to go before she can be ridden again, but I am able to let her be a horse again. I keep her at Suzanne Kloud's beautiful farm, right across from Boyd and Silva's new farm where she is allowed to go out all night, and her skin heals a little be more every day. She still has no hair on the top of her back where the saddle goes and on the tops of her shoulders, but her skin gets stronger everyday. She has put on more weight then I ever thought possible as she is naturally very skinny! She is an amazing mare and has been fighting to get better since the second she emerged from the burning barn and I am sure will make her return to eventing some time next season.

Boyd has allowed me to compete a lot of his young horses while he has been in Europe at Burghley and Boekelo, which has been and amazing opportunity.  It has been great to be out competing again. I also went to Ireland with Ryan in the beginning of August to visit Lillian at her new job and look at some young horses. My grandparent, Tom and Belle Maher, helped me buy a young horse that seems to have lots of potential and I am very excited about his future!"


Again, thank you to the entire community who has shown such amazing support towards the entire team at Boyd and Silva Martin's.  Your efforts have made such an incredible impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment