Monday, March 24, 2014

Goodbye Aiken

Wintry Bridle Creek Farm in Aiken

This year's winter has been a memorable one, mostly due to the appalling weather that we saw in January and February! I still feel like I've had a most successful beginning to the year thanks to the quality of horses that have come my way. I feel blessed to have a phenomenal group of horses backed by some of the nicest people in the world.

I must say I enjoy Aiken immensely due to the fact that a lot of the owners are making the area their winter getaway as well and I enjoy the interaction with them seeing the day to day training process with their horses. Our team of owners and supporters are special not only to me but the staff, allowing them to occasionally sit on their horses, as well as putting on countless BBQ's and social functions ensuring everyone has a good time after working hard all day.

Superstars
I must also thank my group of superstars: they're a wild and scrappy bunch but they're all extremely hard workers which I very much appreciate. For sure a lot of the success we've seen with the horses is due to the outstanding efforts of everyone who works for me.

The arrival of Shamwari at Bridle Creek
Of course I would like to thank Ilene Boorman for renting her phenomenal farm to us for the winter. Without question it's one of the best training facilities in the area. A big thanks must also go to Peter Barry, Fernanda Kellogg and Kirk Henckels for accommodating Silva and myself and our staff over the winter in Aiken.

I'd also like to thank my coaches and veterinarians Phillip Dutton, Michael Walton and Kevin Keane; it's awesome and inspiring being around these top-class horsemen.

We are back in PA now, where I'll meet with my orthopedic surgeon to plan the best course of action for dealing with a broken shin bone, and our crew and horses will regroup after the trip home to Windurra. I'm happy to be reunited with Silva, as it's the first time I've seen her since she came up from Florida. A huge thanks to everyone for the well-wishes.

-Boyd






1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your broken leg! Inspired by your perseverance and keeping you & Silva in my thoughts for a speedy recovery for you both.

    ReplyDelete