Sunday, March 22, 2015

Carolina International CIC***


Master Frisky. Leslie Threlkeld for EventingNation.com

The Carolina International this weekend in Southern Pines, NC was a huge success. Every year the event becomes bigger and better and stronger. The competition was fierce, with some of America’s best horses and riders. I took three greener, up and coming advanced horses in the CIC: Lucy Boynton’s Crackerjack, Stephen Blauner’s Master Frisky and Pancho Villa, owned by the Pancho Villa Syndicate, and all three had strong performances.

Master Frisky came very close to winning the event, finishing second behind Phillip Dutton and I’m Sew Ready, This was a great preparation for Rolex and Master Frisky has impressed so far.

Crackerjack has always been a bit of a wild man to ride and I must say this weekend he really started to settle down and show his maturity.

I was also very happy with Pancho; the longer I have him the more we seem to be building a partnership and I feel like he has the makings of a big-time horse.

Welcome Shadow. Allie Conrad photo

I also rode my three younger horses in the Intermediate and two-star: Craig and Gloria Callen’s Welcome Shadow, Denise and Pierre’s SBF Cortez and Daryl Layfield Insley's William Street. All of these horses gave me great rides, especially on the cross-country, which was a very testing course.

Carolina is really raising the standard for quality events in America. They have an awesome show jumping course designer in Mark Donovan, good commentary and organization, and the cross-country course is inviting and well designed
in a nice flowing course. Having the event live streamed I believe adds an extra dimension to the sport, helping create interest worldwide for what’s happening in the USA. The owners were looked after brilliantly with a huge amount of effort put into making sure they had a fun party and fantastic amenities. It was a real pleasure being part of the competition.

RESULTS 

The Windurra eventing team is now migrating north to PA where the weather is rapidly improving. It has been a great winter at Stable View and I very much appreciate training out of this wonderful facility. It still look forward to seeing my wife and my two cats and sleeping in my own bed at night.

-Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment